St. Joseph's employee benefits
St. Joseph's Indian School is fortunate to be seated on the banks of the beautiful Missouri River, located in Chamberlain, South Dakota.
Chamberlain's population is about 2,300, and we are grateful to be part of a small, caring community. Chamberlain offers a thriving retail community, an excellent school system and hospital and numerous recreation opportunities.
As one of the largest employers in Chamberlain, St. Joseph's Indian School recognizes its standing in an aggressive job market.
Accordingly, we offer competitive salaries - plus one of the best benefit packages available in the area - beyond benefits required by law. All full-time employees are eligible for these benefits.
For your information, the terms we use have the following definitions:
Benefits - Compensatory contributions provided by the employer in addition to regular pay
Eligibility - Applies in general, full-time, regular employees; specific benefits may have specific requirements
Benefits regularly required by law:
- Social Security and Medicare
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) - Employees can take up to 12 weeks off unpaid for a family medical emergency.
Time off with pay:
- Holiday Pay - St. Joseph's Indian School observes several national and religious holidays each year, as determined by the management team
- Annual Leave (Vacation) - Exempt employees (salaried) based on years of service; non-exempt (hourly) based on hours worked; can accumulate up to 30 days
- Personal Leave - Three or four days annually
- Sick Days - Five days annually; can accumulate up to 20 days
- Maternity Leave - Six weeks at 60%; can take an additional six weeks of unpaid leave; employee must have one year of service at time of leave
- Funeral Leave - Three days paid for funeral of spouse, child, parent, sibling, grandparent, mother-in-law or father-in-law
- Jury Duty/Court Time - Receive regular pay
Group Insurance Benefits:
- Life and Accidental Death and Disability - 2 times salary for employee; $10,000 for spouse; up to $5000 for child; accidental death double indemnity for employee
- Health - Comprehensive medical plan with low deductibles; modest premiums
- Disability - Both long-term and short-term
- COBRA - Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) of 1985 provides continuous health benefits; follows all Federal Law requirements
Return to Menu
- Pension Plan - Provided through the U.S. Province of the Priests of the Sacred Heart; a noncontributory fund; employee is vested after five years of continuous service
- TSA - A tax sheltered annuity plan through a payroll deduction is available to interested employees
- Free clinical services - With qualified medical staff for employees and family members
- Employee Assistant Program (EAP) - counseling service for employees and family members at no cost
- Recreation/Wellness Center - available to employees and family members
Return to Menu
Akta Lakota Museum and Cultural Center - offers 20% employee discount
Note: Keep in mind the preceding is just an overview.
In addition to its benefits package, we offer an atmosphere of community in which employees and their families are active participants.
Annual employee events include the Christmas party, service awards banquet and staff appreciation breakfasts.
Families are encouraged to attend the campus picnics in the spring and fall, to participate in intramural sports and to take advantage of family hours at the Recreation/Wellness Center.