Life After St. Joseph's Indian School
When you know who you are; when your mission is clear and you burn with the inner fire of unbreakable will; no cold can touch your heart; no deluge can dampen your purpose. You know that you are alive. — Chief Seattle
Where do the Lakota (Sioux) students go after they graduate? What are they doing now?
We are so proud of our alumni! St. Joseph’s students have made careers in:
- Serving their country in the Armed Forces
- Fulltime parenting and dedication to their children
Our alumni are truly making a difference — thanks to the HOPE you have provided with your love, concern and generosity. Keep reading to learn more about their achievements!
Deacon Harold Condon, former staff person named 2015 Distinguished Alumnus
St. Joseph’s is honored to continue our support of our alumni who are currently pursuing higher education.
Through the 2016-2017 school year, St. Joseph’s was able to gift $138,168 in scholarships to alumni, family of alumni and the children of employees who are enrolled members of South Dakota tribes.
Thanks to your generosity and support, we have alumni pursuing the following degrees:
- Haskell Indian Nations University
- Ronald is pursuing a major in Business Administration.
- Jalynn is working towards a Bachelor of Arts in Communications.
- Oglala Lakota Community College
- Heather is completing courses towards a Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration.
- Jeannie is on track to graduate with a Bachelor of Arts in Social Work in June of 2019.
- Rochelle is taking courses to fulfill her Bachelor of Science in Natural Science-Biology.
- Anna is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts major in Business Administration.
- Steve is working towards a Bachelor’s degree in Human Services.
- Isaiah is studying Lakota Studies and Tribal Law.
- Institute of American Indian Arts
- Katie is pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts.
- Institute of Production and Recording
- Erika is finishing up her final courses to achieve a Bachelor’s degree in Digital Video and Production.
- University of South Dakota
- Mia is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice.
- Christian is working towards a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science.
- Dakota State University
- Andrew is completing his general studies.
- Lake Area Technical Institute
- Miranda is pursuing her Business Associate’s in Marketing and Management.
- Ihanktonwan Community College
- Courtney is working toward a Bachelor of Science in Business Management.
- Black Hills State University
- Gabriel is pursuing a degree in Human Behavior
- Samantha is working towards a Bachelor of Science in Economics/Finance and American Indian Studies.
- Northwest Iowa Community College
- D’Kera graduated in May of 2016 as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) and is now pursuing her Registered Nurse licensure.
- Andrea graduated in May of 2015 with her LPN as is now on track to graduate with her Registered Nursing licensure.
- Sitting Bull College
- Brendan is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Physical Education
- Stormy is working towards an Associate of Science degree in Criminal Justice.
- National American University
- Anna is pursuing a degree in Business Administration and Retail Management.
- Janice is working towards a degree in Paralegal Studies.
- Sinte Gleska University
- Kristen is working toward a Bachelor of Arts in Childhood Education
- Lower Brule Community College
- Audrey is working toward an Associate Degree in Human Services
- Natasha is working on a Associate of Arts in Arts and Science.
- Dawnee is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Human Services.
- Regina is working towards an Associate of Arts in Arts and Science.
- Northeastern State University
- Sheena is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration.
- Fort Lewis College
- Jeremy is working towards a Bachelor of Arts in Exercise Sciences.
- Southeast Technical Institute
- Lawrence is pursuing a degree in Law Enforcement Science.
- United Tribes Technical College
- Corey is working towards an Associate of Science in Culinary Arts and Food Services.
- Tennille is pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration.
- Rueben is taking classes in pursuit of an Associate of Arts in Business Administration.
In Other News:
We were honored to welcome JaTonne back to campus!
JaTonne attended St. Joseph’s Indian School from fifth grade through his senior year. He graduated from Chamberlain High School with St. Joseph’s program in 2015 and went on to complete the Audio Engineering Certificate Program at the Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences in Tempe, Arizona. He recently came back to school as one of our Artists in Residence, working with the third and fourth grade students. “It was very cool to come back and have my first teaching experience with two of my former teachers,” he explained.
Todd attended St. Joseph’s from 1977 – 1979. He graduated from Crow Creek High School in 1988. He is working on St. Joseph’s facilities crew as a carpenter. Todd has five children: Tyrell, Tylynn, Tylecia, Tynice, and Todd Jr.
What Todd liked most about St. Joseph’s was everything. “I didn’t have one bad moment while I was here,” he said.
Advice to current students: He would like to tell the students of today: “Stay in school and graduate.”
College Scholarship Awards and Graduates:
High School Graduates:
Distinguished Alumnus Award Winners:
- 2017, Jessica (Kennedy) Four Bear
- 2016, Julee Richards
- 2015, Harold Condon
- 2014, Sam Dupris
- 2013, Del Iron Cloud
- 2012, Orville W., Casmir L.
- 2011, Rose K.
- 2010, Tammy W.
- 2009, Michael J.
- 2008, Mike L.
- 2007, Teresa F.
- 2006, Sr. Madeline L.
Are you a St. Joseph’s Alumnus? We’d love to hear from you!