September 13-15, 2018
A traditional Lakota (Sioux) powwow helps Native American children, like those at St. Joseph’s Indian School, share their culture, heritage and traditions with friends like you from around the nation.
Since 1976, St. Joseph’s Indian School has hosted an annual weekend of Lakota culture on our Chamberlain, South Dakota campus.
Visitors are welcomed and encouraged to attend many or all of our powwow activities.
Guests enjoy free Native American cultural activities like:
- A tiyospaye — extended family — banquet on Friday night
- Tours of St. Joseph’s campus, school and the children’s homes
- An all day powwow dance competition for Lakota children of all ages
- Indian drum group competition
- Traditional Lakota (Sioux) meals
- And much, much more!!